Australia news live: Queensland cabinet minister referred to federal police over electoral enrolment allegations; unexpected rise in unemployment rate | Australia news


Queensland minister referred to federal police over electoral enrolment allegations

Ben Smee

Ben Smee

The Australian Electoral Commission has referred allegations about the voter enrolment of the Queensland sports and Olympics minister, Tim Mander, to the federal police for further investigation.

Mander has denied any wrongdoing and referred himself to Queensland election authorities after The Australian published stories alleging the former NRL referee and Scripture Union CEO had enrolled to vote at the home of an electorate officer after the breakdown of his marriage despite not living there.

The Electoral Commission Queensland passed the matter to the AEC.

In a statement on Thursday, the AEC said it had sought information about the matter that included an opportunity for Mander to provide information to support his enrolment claim and that:

double quotation markWhile a determination has not been made, the AEC does consider that there is currently an absence of compelling evidence to determine Mr Mander resided at the enrolled address.
As such, on 19 May the AEC referred this matter to the AFP for their consideration, and any action they consider appropriate.
As the matters in question concern a potential criminal offence under the Criminal Code Act 1995, the appropriate authority to undertake any further investigation into these issues is the Australian Federal Police.

Mander told parliament last week he had complied with electoral laws “at all times” and that:

double quotation markI updated the Electoral Commission of Queensland with my correct details when my circumstances changed.
I am currently enrolled at my permanent address and I have complied with the requirements of the Electoral Commission of Queensland at all times.

ShareUpdated at 

Key events

Man charged with stealing camera equipment from Bondi shooting victim in aftermath of terror attack

New South Wales police have charged a man for allegedly stealing camera equipment from one of the victims of the Bondi beach terror attack in the aftermath of the shooting.

In a statement, police allege that the man had been at the Hanukah event before the shooting on 14 December, in which 15 people were killed.

During their investigation into the attack, detectives “identified that one of the victims – a 61-year-old retired police officer and photographer – had his camera equipment stolen in the aftermath of the attack”.

Peter Meagher, 61, a member of the NSW police for 35 years, was one of the victims of the Bondi shooting. In a statement released by police last year, Meagher’s family said he was “struck down in retirement while pursuing his passion for taking photos”.

Read more here:

Share



<a href

Leave a Comment