Lucas Paqueta: West Ham midfielder still affected by spot-fixing investigation, says manager Nuno Espirito Santo

Paqueta was facing a lifetime ban from football if found guilty, but the regulatory commission found that the four charges against him were “not proven”.

After failing to comply with the investigation he was reprimanded and warned about his future conduct.

When the midfielder was acquitted, Paqueta’s lawyer told the BBC that the midfielder was “very emotional and very happy” and “has a huge weight on his chest”.

Paqueta’s wife previously said that they had been “living this nightmare for two years”.

Paqueta received two yellow cards in quick succession on Sunday, after debating referee Darren England’s decision to award a foul against his team with six minutes remaining.

It was his first match since being left out of West Ham’s 2–2 draw with Bournemouth after collecting five yellow cards in the league.

Paqueta blamed the events of the past two years for Sunday’s departure and criticized what he claims was a lack of psychological support provided by the FA during the investigation.

He added, “I’m sorry if I’m not perfect.”

Nuno confirmed that Paqueta had apologized to him and his Hammers teammates following the incident.

“He is not well,” Nuno said.

“He is suffering, he is depressed and distressed.

“He realizes his mistake and is ready to move on. Sometimes people don’t realize the problems football players go through.”

“But I think (he) will overcome this situation.”

While this latest suspension has ruled him out of West Ham’s trip to Manchester United on Thursday, Nuno confirmed he will be involved against Brighton on Sunday – while also saying he believes Paqueta is “definitely” happy at the club amid rumors about his future.



<a href=

Leave a Comment