A circular note was sent to reporters and other attendees stating that a “fire incident had occurred in Zone B” and asking them to “evacuate the workplace immediately.”
A siren sounded inside the venue, signaling participants to evacuate.
Police officers stood in queues to stop people from going to the affected area.
What do we know about the COP30 fire?
Tourism Minister Celso Sabino said on Brazilian television shortly afterwards that “the incident has already been brought under control.”
“Firefighters and security teams responded immediately and continue to monitor the site,” Brazil’s COP30 organizers said in a statement.
Organizers said the site would not reopen before 8pm local time (11pm GMT), adding that “limited damage” had been caused.
He also said 13 people were treated for smoke inhalation caused by the fire.
Officials later said the venue reopened on Thursday and talks would resume on Friday morning.
Final phase of two-week summit
The two-week global climate summit, drawing thousands of people from across the world, is reaching its final stages.
The nominal last day is Friday, 21 November, but in previous years, it has been common to seek consensus on a pledge or pledges between different national governments.
The summit had already missed Wednesday’s self-imposed deadline to reach agreement on issues such as how to scale up climate finance and create a roadmap to transition away from fossil fuels, meaning delays could be possible even before Thursday’s fires.
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres had urged negotiators to “engage in good faith” and reach an “ambitious agreement” in comments earlier on Thursday.
“The world is watching Belém,” he told reporters at a morning news conference. “Frontline communities are also watching – Counting the flooded homes, ruined crops, lost livelihoods, and asking, how much more do we have to endure?”
Edited by Carl Sexton
<a href